If you just use your grill to make chicken or steak then you are missing out. You can try out a meal with pork, especially the Grilled Pork Tenderloin. The pork tenderloin, also called pork fillet, is a long thin cut of pork. This is the most tender part because these muscles are used for posture, rather than locomotion.
My wife is totally good at cooking. My friends and I always have backyard grills and that is the right time my wife shows off the skills. For this particular recipe, we went for spicy and for spice lovers you can try that.
Basic Smoked Pork Tenderloin
- 2 pork tenderloins-Made for four people.
- Dry rub or marinade.
Basic Dry Rub
- 1 ¼ cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 4 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 ½ teaspoons onion salt
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon of minced garlic
- ¼ cup of cola
- ¼ cup of dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
Preparing for the smoked pork tenderloin
- What you need first is a rub or marinade. You need to season the pork tenderloin prior to smoking it in order to get the best flavor. This is how I marinated my pork tenderloins.
In a large bowl,add 1 ¼ cup brown sugar, ⅔ cup sugar,3 tablespoons black pepper, 2 tablespoons kosher salt, 2 tablespoons ground ginger, 4 ½ teaspoons garlic powder, 4 ½ teaspoons onion salt, 1 tablespoon dry mustard, 1 ½ teaspoons cayenne pepper, 1 ½ teaspoons crushed red pepper, 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin, 1 ½ teaspoons paprika, and ¾ teaspoon dried thyme. Mix them to make a dry rub for your pork tenderloin.
Mix ½ teaspoon of minced garlic, ¼ cup of cola, ¼ cup of dark brown sugar, ¼ cup of soy sauce, ½ teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of ground pepper, 1 teaspoon minced onion and 3 tablespoons of olive oil together in another large bowl for a second marinade of the tenderloins.
- To make sure that the pieces will fit on the grill, you may need to cut the pork before applying the rub or marinade to the tenderloin.
- After properly cutting the pork, you can prepare to season the meat. Make sure that your dry rub is applied by your fingers to apply evenly the tenderloin. If you choose to marinade, use a pastry brush to brush the mixture on the entire tenderloin. Add the pork to a plastic zipper bag and cover completely.
- Use a plastic wrap to wrap the pork and store it in the refrigerator for 1 or 2 hours before smoking it. This allows the flavor to penetrate in the pork.
Preparing the Grill
- You can try grill planking like Hickory, apple, cherry, and oak. All are effective for the best smoking results to give your pork a delicious smoky taste.Check out here for more on Grill planking
- Remove the grate and open the grill’s bottom damper to make sure that all piled on one side of the grill, you need to use a chimney starter to place coal on top of it.
- When the grill reaches 250 degrees, add the wood chunks or chips to the grill.
Grilling of the pork tenderloins
- Add the wood to the oven, to close the lid and replace the grill’s grate and set the tenderloin on opposite side from the coals directly above the meat and open the damper.
- Smoke the tenderloin for a few hours, this is a slow cooking process. Avoid opening the grill. Generally, for 2-3kgs of tenderloin, you need two and a half to three hours of grilling.Before you remove tenderloins from the grill, check the internal temperature of the pork-145 degrees is suitable.
- When the internal temperature of the pork is maintained at 145 degrees F for two hours the tenderloins are ready to serve. Remove it from the grill and using a foil wrap it and rest for about five to ten minutes which will keep the meat juicy and flavorful. Slice it for serving cool.
- Prepare some barbecue sauce on the side for the tenderloin to have extra flavor.
- You are now ready to enjoy the grilled cast iron pork loin.