I am a man who loves staying at home. When not at home, I am embarking on my hobbies and traveling is one of them. I love traveling, I love going around the world exploring different cultures, social settings, different people, delicacies and easily acceptable delicacies from different parts of the world.
I always love that feeling of new experiences and new endeavors. I can always find and learn something new during my travel. These memories I document them for my future generation. Letting them know them know there are really beautiful places and cultures on this planet. One of these endeavors led to my learning of the grilled chicken parmigiana.
There is this time I came to a small lakeside village in Turin, Italy. This village has an old lady who used to help anyone. In her village, there are a lot of poor kids who can’t afford anything even the food. So the old lady often gathers these poor kids and make some food for them.
The old lady is single with no kid so treats the kids like one of her own. What she cooked was a kind of chicken with a unique smell and after cutting the inside of the meat had a sour milk smell. She seemed to put something like cheese into the casserole. I followed her to the place where the kids slept and the place looked like an abandoned church which is not in use anymore.
The kids called her grandma and when I saw these kids are eating the food voraciously, I was moved and I talked to the old lady that I could help her tell the story to the whole world by using the Internet, and more and more people will come to help these poor kids. She’s happy and asked me why did I do that and what did I want.
I told her that I will help her and the kids with nothing but my heart, if you asked me what I want, there’s one thing that I really wanted was how to make the chicken you made for the kids and the grilling recipes for chicken. She agreed, I told her that I was traveling around the world and seeking the delicious food from different places, after hearing that, she’s pleased and told me the key of making this chicken, it’s the parmigiana which is a kind of cheese from Italy.
- 2 pounds thin cut chicken breast, cutlets
- Salt and pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling, plus 2 tablespoons
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small yellow skinned onion, finely chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup, 20 leaves, fresh basil leaves, shredded or torn
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 pound smoked mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Preheat the outdoor or indoor grill pan and turn them to a high temperature. Use salt and pepper to season the chicken and use extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle in order to keep it from sticking to the grill.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side of the chicken and use a foil covered platter to hold it. If necessary, cook the chicken in 2 batches when you’re using the grill pan.
- Make sauce for preparation while the chicken cooks.
- Take a medium pot on the stove and turn it to the medium heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons in the pot, 2 turns of the pan. Then you need to add garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, and chopped onions together to make it smell good. Rotating frequently, after 10 minutes, add tomatoes and heat for about 2 minutes. Use salt and pepper to season the sauce and wilt in the basil.
- Preheat the broiler and turn it to high. Use fire roasted sauce to cover the chicken and layer it in a casserole dish. Use parmigiana and mozzarella to top the casserole. Brown the casserole about 3 minutes and place it under the broiler.