A chilly weekend again so it will be all about staying indoors and it never gets more boring than that. Anyhow, this is the most appropriate time to bring out the best in you. Most people will want to go a little Artistic and play guitar or write some lyrics. Others prefer binge watching of their favorite series.
I plan to spend the whole day baking and I want to teach you how to bake this dessert–CRANBERRY CORNMEAL SKILLET CAKE. Cranberry, a small red sour fruit, my favorite. Cranberries are not only sour tasting but also shiny like pretty crimson jewels. Every time I finish baking this dessert, I feel like I finished a work of art.
This CRANBERRY CAKE( one of my favorite cast iron dessert) reminds me of an ancient traditional dessert in Thanksgiving Day–cranberry sauce. During Thanksgiving Day, there is always an interesting cranberry contest.
A large bowl which is full of cranberries is be placed on the ground, 4-10 players sit around and each of them has a needle and a piece of thread. The main aim of the game is to get the player who will put together the highest number of cranberries into the string using the needle.
Each player has like 3 minutes to put together the highest number of cranberries together. When the time is over, the one who makes the longest string wins the game. The one who makes the shortest will get a wooden spoon. Cornmeal and Cranberry fruits are the key ingredients of the cake.
Cornmeal creates a sweet, hearty and tender crumb. When the cranberries are cooked, they become juicy and create light sour taste. When brown sugar is added to the flour the cake will have a sweet and sour taste.
For your Thanksgiving Day or a weekend dessert with your family, try out this recipe. I’m sure you will love it.Apart from the childhood family recipe I also consulted some of my favorite cookbooks. This is one of my favorite cookbooks.[Click Here]
- 11/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 11/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup fine cornmeal
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream( or full-fat yogurt)
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup firmly packed down sugar
- Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a bowl. Then add the cornmeal and whisk. Set aside.
- Use your cast iron skillet to melt the butter and swirl richly to make the bottom and sides of the cast iron skillet coat with melted butter.
- Remove the melted butter from the skillet to a bowl. Add honey, eggs and sour cream ( if you don’t have sour cream, you can substitute it with yogurt). Then whisk.
- Mix all the ingredients together and add half of the cranberries.
- Put this mixture into the cast iron skillet and make it an even layer. Place the remaining cranberries side by side over the top of it and sprinkle some brown sugar.
- Put the skillet into the oven and bake it for 35-40 minutes. Sometimes this method is not accurate enough. You can use a toothpick to check if it is well cooked. Just insert the toothpick into the center of the cake and pull it out. If it is attached to moist crumbs, enjoy your cake.
I’m sure this dessert will make you fall in love with cranberry! An ornament in your dull life. Remember to clean your cast iron skillet carefully and always keep it in a good condition. It is a reliable partner in your cooking.