If you’re anything like me, a packet of trail mix just won’t cut it when you’re hiking all day. I like to have some protein packed tummy fillers with me than are delicious and mess free. This zucchini slice is one of my favorite protein snacks for hiking and doesn’t need to be kept cold or heated up to enjoy. Simply make up a slab of this slice before you leave home and cut into pieces for a snack on the go!
I’ve made this simple version suitable for vegetarians, but you can always pimp it up with a little bacon or chopped ham if you feel the urge.
Protein Snacks for Hiking: Zucchini Slice
- 1 x brown onion
- 4 medium sized zucchinis
- 1/2 cup wholemeal self raising flour
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 5-6 eggs (whisked)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp pepitas (pumpkin seeds) or sunflower seeds
- Preheat oven to 390F (or 200C)
- Finely chop your onion and fry in a little olive oil or butter for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the curry powder and stir for around 30 seconds.
- Transfer onion to a bowl and mix with the zucchini, flour, cheese and egg until well combined.
- Pour your mixture into a greased or a silicone pan and bake for around 30 minutes or until golden and firm to touch.
- Allow to cool and cut up as desired.
Note: If you want to spice this up a little, try a dollop of chutney on top when you eat it! if you enjoy this recipe and want to check out another of my favorite vegetarian hiking snacks, check out my Quinoa Cauliflower Muffins!