Campers used to make a meal just by setting up a campfire and prepare food by using primitive tools, such as sticks and coat hangers. But nowadays we tend to use toasting forks, roasting strikes and specially designed metal skewers. No matter what type of campfire skewers we use, we should use simple ways to prepare our food when we go out for camping.
Though campfire cooking comes in several forms, skewer cooking has got to be the easiest, whether we are backpacking through the mountains or car camping at our favorite local spot. With a minimum of supplies and equipment, we can roast up several tasty treats over our campfire or fire pit in no time.
While we can’t cook everything on a skewer, there are several great campfire cooking skewers and recipes that we can actually cook on your open fire with a skewer. I have tried doing this before on my camping expeditions and hope they are gonna be helpful. Try this and you are gonna have a lot of fun when you roast things out there camping.
- 1 What kind of campfire cooking skewers should you buy?
- 2 What kinds of food you can cook by using skewers
- 3 How to use Campfire Cooking Skewers
- 4 Beggar’s Breakfast
- 5 Indian Shish Kebab
- 6 Buttons and Ribbons
- 7 Raspberry Puffs
What kind of campfire cooking skewers should you buy?
There are two different types of skewer you can choose to buy. One is wooden skewer, the other is metal skewer.Wood skewers can be traditional bamboo or one of the flavored skewers infused with lime citrus or Indian curry, for example. They’re easily burned in the campfire and require no additional dishwashing. I recommend you buy metal skewers because wooden ones catch fire when the cooking requires a long time limit. They are not reusable too.
Metal skewers are a lifetime investment and they don’t catch fire at the wrong time. They heat faster into the chicken, pork and other foods that must be thoroughly cooked. Try to find skewers for your campfire cooking which have at least 2 prongs. As you can see, with only a single prong your food will spin on the skewer, which is more difficult for you to control.
Two or more prongs hold the food more firmly and allow you to turn the food easily without slipping. Some skewers also have additional features, for example, some can be telescoped for easy storage and so they don’t take up much room in your backpack.
Also, these skewers have a ring that allows you to spin the skewer rod with your fingers without having to spin the entire skewer. This is not necessary but just helps you to make the cooking process easier.
What kinds of food you can cook by using skewers
You should keep two things in mind. The first thing is that a skewer cannot hold very heavy items and it can hardly to hold the food and turn the skewer over your fire for long period of time. Therefore, you should stick to foods which are smaller and which do not have very prolonged cooking times.
The other thing is pre-marinated and season your dishes. If all else fails, everything is just enhanced by a generous dash of salt and some pepper.Here are some examples of good smores sticks campfire cooking foods you can choose to make. Sausages, hot dogs, small poultry or game birds, some cut-up pieces of larger meats, firm-fleshed vegetables and don’t forget the Marshmallows! Those foods really fit the way to roast.
How to use Campfire Cooking Skewers
As for how to use roasting sticks to skewer the food, you should make sure to pierce the thickest portion of your food and to push it back onto the skewer as far as possible. This will help to prevent slippage so that your food does not accidentally fall directly into your campfire!
After your seasoned food is prepared well and right in place, simply hold the food over or near your fire and slowly rotate until it is cooked to the right color you like. One important tip is to realize that most foods cannot cook well directly in the flames. It is totally wrong to simply sit your food in the middle of the fire. This will burn the surface of the food quickly and leave an unappetizing char.
By the time the middle is cooked the outside will be coal! It is disgusting! So be sure to hold your food at some distance above the actual flames. Don’t worry about that your food cannot be well roasted, if you have a good hot fire then your food will cook nicely as long as it is in the vicinity of the heat.
So all you have to do is to be patient and slowly rotate the food. And finally, these foods can be cooked evenly. Also, there are other tips for you. When ordering ground meat to form around a skewer, ask for an extra fine grind for better cling. Some barbecue experts insist that bamboo skewers must be soaked in water first, however, others think it is unnecessary. All you need to do is an experiment to decide what’s best for you.
Also don’t cram chicken or pork pieces too close together. They require slow, even and thorough cooking. You need to discard marinades or boil for five minutes before using as a dipping sauce. You also need to be very careful with how you handle the fire.
I also want to share with you some great skewer recipes for you. You can choose what you like to make for yourself. Or you can introduce easy ones for your boys and girls, which will definitely amaze the people you will be cooking for.
- Long metal skewers or toasting forks to make this breakfast.
- 1 or 2 flat-bottom ice cream cones per person
- 1/3 cup liquid egg substitute per cone
- Small square cheddar cheese
- Fully cooked sausage
- 1 teaspoon jelly or preserves per cone
- Salt, pepper
- Laying a 10-inch square of heavy-duty foil for each cone. Then spray foil and place a cone on the foil. Bring up the corners to form an open sack tightly around the cone. Fill the cone with liquid egg, salt, pepper and one of the optional extras.
- Bring corners of the foil together over the top of the cone, taking care to keep it upright. The next thing you need to do is run a stick or long skewer through the foil and catch all four corners. Hold over the heat, but not in licking flames, until egg sets.
You can eat right out of the foil.
Indian Shish Kebab
- Meat (which has been mixture at home and keep on ice for a day or two).
- 2 pounds of ground lamb
- 2 medium onions (finely chopped)
- Salt, paprika, ground coriander, ground cumin, powdered ginger (1 teaspoon each)
- Dried mint leaves, dried cilantro and chili paste (2 teaspoons each)
Mix everything above well and you can make kebabs at home and put it in refrigerate to make them at the campsite. Form mixture by the cupful into tubes about 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Insert skewers through each “tube” and grill over medium coals until lamb is done through.
If you roast well, you will never forget the flavor. So make it for your friends and relatives. Whenever you want to make food, you cannot wait to make this tasty dish.
Buttons and Ribbons
- 2 or 3 medium zucchini and eggplants
- Whole, medium-sized mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed
- 1/3 cup each white wine vinegar and olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, pepper, celery seed
- Hot dogs or other cooked sausage, cut in bite-size pieces
- Slice vegetables lengthwise into long, 1/4-inch thick ribbons.
- Place veggies in a plastic bag with the mushrooms and marinade ingredients. Chill, turning occasionally to saturate vegetables with flavor.
- Drain the bag and weave vegetable ribbons on skewers with alternating mushrooms and sausage pieces between each loop.
- Cook kebabs on the grate and turns often until vegetables are crisp, yet tender.
- 17-ounce package of puff pastry, thawed
- 10-ounce jar raspberry preserves
- Whole, roasted, unsalted almonds
- 1 small carton pasteurized egg white
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Unfold pastry sheets onto a clean kitchen towel and pat out as thin as possible. Cut pastry in 4-inch squares. Place a teaspoon of raspberry preserve and an almond in the center of each square.
- Whisk egg white and sugar and brush on pastry edges. Fold squares in half and press to seal edges. Secure well on tines of toasting forks. Because the pastry will swell and get flaky as it roasts, so don’t risk losing it. Brush with additional egg white and roast over the fire until it’s puffed and golden.
This tasty puff can meet everyone’s appetite I believe. Because all people around me always ask me to make a lot. So you can try and I am sure you will love this beautiful tasty thing.